Tarawera 62km Course
62km Solo | 2-person relay
Please note: The 62km course has been reversed (compared to 2017), which means it starts at Tarawera Falls and finishes in downtown Rotorua.
|Start||Tarawera Falls, access via bus from Firmin Field, Kawerau. The bus is free for all runners*|
|Finish||Government Gardens, Rotorua|
|Hardest cutoff pace required (min./km)||15:23/km|
|Expected time first finisher||1:00pm|
|Expected time last finisher||12 midnight|
|Trail type||Native forest single trail 61%, minor forest track / road 28%, single track exotic forest 5%|
* You can self drive to Firmin Field, Kawerau or take an event bus. The bus to Kawerau (free for runners) will depart from the Rotorua Museum from 5.00am to 5.30am on race morning. A second bus to the 62km start-line will depart from Firmin Field at 7.10am. You cannot self drive to the 62km start.
|Aid Station location||Distance from Start||Distance from last Aid Station||Distance to next Aid Station||Distance to Finish|
|Start: Tarawera Falls||0||0||5.3||62.4|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||45.7||6.8||11.7||16.7|
|Finish: Government Gardens, Rotorua||62.4||5||0||0|
|Location||Leader time of day||Slowest time of day||Cut-off pace (mins/km)||Cut off hrs||Cut off time*||Spectators||Drop bags|
|Start: Tarawera Falls||8:00am||8:00am||0:15:23 (applies to every location)||0:00|
|Tarawera Outlet||8:25am||9:21am||1:21||yes (bus)||yes|
|Okataina Lodge||9:48am||1:46pm||5:46||1:45pm||yes (bus)||yes|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||11:39am||7:43pm||11:43||7:45pm||yes||yes|
|Finish: Government Gardens, Rotorua||1:00pm||12:00am||16:00||12 midnight||yes||yes|
* All runners must leave the Aid Station BEFORE the cut-off times.
- Each member of a relay team gets a race number. They are identical and all have your team name on them.
- Relay changeover points are Okataina, plus optional at Redwoods. The first relay runner may rejoin their team member at the Redwoods and both runners can complete the last 5km together.
- The Okataina relay changeover point is reached by taking a free shuttle bus from Rotoiti Rugby Club. See Crew and Spectator page for driving instructions to Okataina.
- All relay team runners will receive an individual medal at the finish-line.
- One car per relay team will be sufficient.
- There are no shirts given to relay team runners. Tarawera t-shirt are available for purchase at our online store, or at the event expo.
- All race rules and cutoff times apply to relay teams.
- Relay runners are not allowed to have pacers.
- Relay team runners do not need drop bags.