Solo entry | 2-person relay team | 4-person relay team
Please note: In 2018, the 62, 87 and 102km ultra and relay courses will likely be reversed so they finish in downtown Rotorua. A final decision has not been made on the course direction or course alignments. As a guide, the information below shows the 2017 courses.
|Start||Redwoods Visitors Centre, Longmile Road, Rotorua|
|Finish||Firmin Field, Waterhouse Street, Kawerau|
|Hardest cutoff pace required (min./km)||11:32/km|
|Expected time first finisher||12:20pm|
|Expected time last finisher||11pm|
|Trail type||Native forest single trail 57%, minor forest track / road 26%, major forest road 5%, single track exotic forest 5%|
|Aid Station||Km covered||Distance to next (km)||Distance from previous (km)||Cut-Off||Cut-off pace (min/km)||Est. time: Front runner||Est. time: Final runner||Crew / spectator access||Relay change-over||Drop bags||Pacer start point|
|Start: Redwoods, Long Mile Rd||0||16.7||0||6:00 AM||6:00 AM||Yes||Leg 1: 16.7km|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||16.7||6.8||16.7||10:00am||14.22/km||06:50||09:30||Yes||Leg 2: 23.2km||Yes|
|Okataina Lodge||39.9||9.6||16.4||1.50pm||11.46/km||08:30||13:50||Yes, Shuttle bus||Leg 3: 22.5km||Yes|
|Tarawera Falls||62.4||9.4||5.3||6.00pm||11.32/km||10:40||18:00||Yes||Leg 4: 24.6km||Yes||Yes|
|Finish-line||87||0||5||No final cut-off||12:23||23:00||Yes|
Change from 2016: The start has been realigned to avoid congestion and will include more sections of Tokorangi Pa to the water tank. Removal of Direct Road means a flatter and quicker run to Blue Lake. Removal of almost all sealed road and inclusion of scenic lakeside singletrack at Okareka. Fishermans Bridge aid station has moved to the south side of the river and runners will follow the southern side of from Fisherman’s the River to Cummings Road.
- Each member of a relay team gets a race number. They are identical and all have your team name on them.
- 87km relay teams swap at Tikitapu (Blue Lake), Okataina and Tarawera Falls.
- All relay team runners will receive an individual medal at the finish-line in Kawerau.
- Team members can run more than one leg if a team-member has dropped out.
- Two cars per relay team is a good idea to get around the course efficiently (especially for fast teams).
- There are no shirts given to relay team runners. Tarawera t-shirt are available for purchase at our online store, or at the event expo.
- All race rules and cutoff times apply to relay teams.
- Relay runners are not allowed to have pacers.
- Relay team runners do not need drop bags.