Tarawera 85km Course
Solo | 2-person relay | 4-person relay
Please note: The 85km course has been reversed (compared with 2017), which means it starts in the Tarawera Forest and finishes in downtown Rotorua.
|Start||Tarawera Forest, Kawerau. Access via bus from Firmin Field, Kawerau. The bus is free for all runners*|
|Finish||Government Gardens, Rotorua|
|Hardest cutoff pace required (min./km)||16:33/km|
|Expected time first finisher||12:20pm|
|Expected time last finisher||7am Sunday|
|Trail type||Native forest single trail 57%, minor forest track / road 26%, major forest road 5%, single track exotic forest 5%|
* You can self drive to Firmin Field, Kawerau or take an event bus. The bus to Kawerau (free for runners) will depart from the Rotorua Museum from 5.00am to 5.30am on race morning. A second bus to the 85km start-line will depart from Firmin Field at 6.50am. You cannot self drive to the 85km start.
|Aid Station location||Distance from Start (km)||Distance from last Aid Station||Distance to next Aid Station||Distance to Finish|
|Start: before Fishermans Bridge||0||0||8.8||85.2|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||64||6.8||16.2||21.2|
|Finish: Government Gardens, Rotorua||85.3||5.1||0||0|
|Location||Leader time of day||Slowest time of day||Cut off pace (mins/km)||Cut off hrs||Cut off time||Spectators||Drop bags||Pacers|
|Start: before Fishermans Bridge||7:30am||7:30am||yes (bus)|
|Tarawera Outlet||9:13am||4:33pm||0:23:02||9:03||4:30pm||yes (bus)||yes|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||12:11pm||2:01am||0:17:22||18:31||2:00am||yes||yes||yes|
|Finish: Government Gardens, Rotorua||1:45pm||7:00am||0:16:33||23:30||7:00am Sunday||yes||yes|
- Each member of a relay team gets a race number. They are identical and all have your team name on them.
- Relay changeover points are at Tarawera Outlet (23.6km), Okataina (40.8km) and Tikitapu/Blue Lake (64.0).
- All relay team runners will receive an individual medal at the finish-line.
- Team members can run more than one leg if a team-member has dropped out.
- Two cars per relay team is a good idea to get around the course efficiently (especially for fast teams). The 2nd and 3rd relay team members get a free bus ride to their respective changeover points.
- There are no shirts given to relay team runners. Tarawera t-shirt are available for purchase at our online store, or at the event expo.
- All race rules and cutoff times apply to relay teams.
- Relay runners are not allowed to have pacers.
- Relay team runners do not need drop bags.