Health & Safety
Health & Safety Policy Statement
NZ Trail Runs Ltd is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all staff, volunteers, contractors and clients.
The overriding objective of the events provided by NZ Trail Runs Ltd. events is toencourage healthy lifestyles and appreciation for the scenic beauty of areas we operate in. While it is important for competitors to achieve their athletic goals, at no point will athletes be coerced or pressured into entering the event or continuingbeyond the point they feel comfortable. The participants themselves are the bestjudge of their own physical state. NZTR is also cognizant of the fact their eventsoccur in a wilderness area and that incidents may occur in an isolated area that hasdifficult access.
Officers to ensure the safety of our athletes, contractors and volunteers by:
- Ensuring that people are not exposed to unmanaged or uncontrolledhazards.
- Providing and maintaining a hazard identification procedure andmanagement strategy.
- Annually reviewing and updating this Health and Safety Manual.
To achieve this NZ Trail Runs Ltd. will take all practicable steps to:
- Systematically identify all hazards. Where there are significant hazards wewill take all practicable steps to eliminate or minimise these hazards to prevent any injury or damage.
- Inform participants of hazards and hazard controls.
- Ensure all staff and contractors are properly qualified, trained and/orsupervised.
- Ensure all staff, contractors, volunteers and athletes are properly briefedand/or supervised wherever practicable.
- Record all incidents and accidents during the event and take all practicablesteps to prevent these events from happening in future.
- Carry out planned self-inspections to monitor health and safety issues.
- Ensure all staff, contractors and volunteers are given reasonableopportunities to participate effectively in on-going processes for theimprovement of health and safety of the event.
- Ensure this Health and Safety Manual is made available to all staff andcontractors involved in our events.
Employees, contractors, subcontractors, and volunteers must:
- Act with safety foremost in mind at all times.
- Take all practicable steps to ensure their own safety while at work.
- Ensure that none of their actions or inaction’s cause harm to another person.
- Be familiar with the NZ Trail Runs Ltd Health & Safety Plan and the Operations Manual for this event
- Do not undertake any task without the appropriate qualifications or safety equipment.
- Know and use appropriate procedures for any task undertaken.
- Observe and enforce the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and Regulations that apply to their place of work.
- Report all accidents that occur in the work place as soon as practical to their immediate supervisor or the Race Director.
- Ensure that all the staff assigned to them are competent, have undergone sufficient training for and have the appropriate safety equipment for the tasks they are expected to undertake.
- Staff have the authority to halt an activity if a hazard threatens the safety of any person associated with the activity.
Paul Charteris Tim Day
Directors, NZ Trail Runs Ltd
Date: 8 August 2017