The Tarawera Ultramarathon is one of the most viewed endurance sports events in New Zealand. A large team of journalists, photographers and videographers from New Zealand, Australia, Europe, North America and Asia cover the event annually. This page contains resources to help media cover the event.
Quick links: Official 2015 Race Programme (pdf) | Profiles of Elite Athletes | News stories from the most recent races | Example images | Media accreditation form (ms word doc) |
Event Logo [square .zip ] [rectangle .zip] [horizontal .zip ]
High res. images for media (password protected). See contact below.
– The largest ultramarathon run in New Zealand’s history.
– The highest quality ultramarathon field ever assembled in New Zealand.
– Many world-class runners attending (some with tens-of-thousands of fans) from Asia, Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand.
– A point-to-point run from Rotorua to Kawerau.
– Over 1000 runners competing.
– 380 runners are from overseas – representing 30+ countries.
– Race #2 of of the Ultra. Trail World Tour.
– Elements of Maori culture are woven into this event – including a Powhiri welcome on Marae, a karakia and waiata at the race start and specially carved trophies.
– Stories are available on individual runners – profiles and contacts are available.
We can help with…
– Story angles, photography and video.
– Access to locations and famous athletes for interviews.
– Accommodation and free entrance to attractions for some media.
– Transportation, privileged parking access, media recces and boat travel to cover the race.
– Assistance to develop stories and content provided by race partners, including: Te Puia, Destination Rotorua Marketing and the Tourism New Zealand International Media Programme.
– An invitation to our traditional Wednesday evening media and elite athlete barbecue (a good chance to arrange interviews and stories for the upcoming few days).
– Access to the elite runners and profiles of ‘interesting’ runners so you can create human interest stories.
– An access pass for several locations that are closed to the public on race day.
– An access pass for internet at key locations.
– (for international media with a large footprint) invitations to the hangi dinner and other Rotorua attractions.
For further information about media opportunities or if you have any related questions, please contact:
Contact – Media Accreditation and media library access:
Mobile: 027 600 0397 (international +64 27 600 0397)