The Tarawera 102k is one of the largest, most competitive and international trail running ultra races in the world. Part of the Ultra-Trail World Tour. It is the most international running race in New Zealand with more than 40 countries represented in this race alone and more than half of the field from outside of New Zealand.
The 102k is everything that trail ultra running should be – fun, competitive, challenging, scenic, friendly and inspiring.
All runners and walkers will need to complete athlete check-in on Thursday or Friday. Your race number is your bus ticket. The bus (departs from the Energy Events Centre to the start line in Kawerau) is included in your race entry.
– Please line up at the race start ready to go.
– There will be a karakia race briefing at the race start.
– Make sure your race number is facing the front.
– You can leave a labelled start line bag with us and we will transport it back to the finish.
– Your race photos are 100% free – so make sure you have your race number facing forward. No visible race number = no photos.
– The finish line is The Energy Events Centre, Rotorua (the same place you check-in).
– You are welcome to a free soak at Blue Baths adjacent to Government Gardens when you finish. Your race number is your ticket.
– There will be plenty of fruit and drink at the finish line plus extra food and drink to buy.
|START||Waterhouse Street Bridge, Kawerau|
|START TIME||6:00am Saturday 9 February|
|FINISH||The Energy Events Centre, Rotorua|
|INCLUSIONS||Wooden engraved finishers medal for all, technical race shirt, bus to start, buffet aid stations, free hotpools at finish, finish-line zone with refreshments and craft beer (18 years+), custom race bibs, medical and safety support and finish-line hugs.|
|ENTRY INFO||All info is here|
|ENTRY LIMIT||1250 runners and walkers|
|COURSE||Point to point. Combination of trails and forestry roads with native bush, conifer forest, farmland, parkland and thermal landscapes. A very similar course to 2018, but with possibly 1km less distance.
Single track 60% | forest track minor forest route 23% | farm/park 5% | forest road 7% | public road 5%
|SCENIC HIGHLIGHTS||Haka at startline, the solitude of the Tarawera Forest, waterfalls on the Tarawera Falls track, twists and turns on the Eastern Okataina track, towering redwoods, steam alongside the trail at Sulphur Point, run along five lakes, finish at historic Government Gardens, Rotorua.
|EXTRA FEATURES||Race #2 of the Ultra-Trail World Tour, the most international running race in New Zealand, one of the most competitive trail ultras in the world.|
|UTMB / ITRA POINTS||Yes. On UTMB website|
|WESTERN STATES QUALIFIER||Yes, sub-17 hours.
|VERTICAL GAIN / LOSS||+3089m / -2843m|
|HARDEST CUTOFF PACE REQUIRED (MIN/KM)||14.04/km|
|EXPECTED TIME FIRST FINISHER||2:00pm|
|EXPECTED TIME LAST FINISHER|
|RUN HOME FROM REDWOODS||All ultra runners may have as many people run to the finish with them from The Redwoods as they wish. These supporters run for free.|
|Location||Distance from Start||Distance from last aid||Distance to next aid||Distance to Finish||Cut off time||Spectators||Drop bags|
|Start: Firmin Field, Kawerau||0||0||14.2||100.4||Y||Y|
|Tarawera Outlet||40.8||9.8||7.6||59.6||4:00pm||Y (bus)||Y|
|Okataina Lodge||58||9.6||16.4||42.4||8:00pm||Y (bus)||Y|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||86.2||11.8||9.2||14.2||2:30am||Y||Y|
|Finish: Government Gardens, Rotorua||100.4||5||0||0||6:00am||Y||Y|
* You can self drive to the start-line in Kawerau or take an event bus. The bus (free for runners) will depart from the Rotorua Museum from 4.00am to 4.40am on race morning.
2019 Tarawera 102k Course Map. A high res. PDF suitable for printing is here (large PDF file).