Health & Safety
Health & Safety Policy Statement
NZ Trail Runs Ltd is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all staff, volunteers, contractors and clients.
The overriding objective of the events provided by NZ Trail Runs Ltd. events is to encourage healthy lifestyles and appreciation for the scenic beauty of areas we operate in. While it is important for competitors to achieve their athletic goals, at no point will athletes be coerced or pressured into entering the event or continuing beyond the point they feel comfortable. The participants themselves are the best judge of their own physical state. NZTR is also cognizant of the fact their events occur in a wilderness area and that incidents may occur in an isolated area that has difficult access.
Officers to ensure the safety of our athletes, contractors and volunteers by:
- Ensuring that people are not exposed to unmanaged or uncontrolled hazards.
- Providing and maintaining a hazard identification procedure and management strategy.
- Annually reviewing and updating this Health and Safety Manual.
To achieve this NZ Trail Runs Ltd. will take all practicable steps to:
- Systematically identify all hazards. Where there are significant hazards we will take all practicable steps to eliminate or minimise these hazards to prevent any injury or damage.
- Inform participants of hazards and hazard controls.
- Ensure all staff and contractors are properly qualified, trained and/or supervised.
- Ensure all staff, contractors, volunteers and athletes are properly briefed and/or supervised wherever practicable.
- Record all incidents and accidents during the event and take all practicable steps to prevent these events from happening in the future.
- Carry out planned self-inspections to monitor health and safety issues.
- Ensure all staff, contractors and volunteers are given reasonable opportunities to participate effectively in on-going processes for the improvement of health and safety of the event.
- Ensure this Health and Safety Manual is made available to all staff and contractors involved in our events.
Employees, contractors, subcontractors, and volunteers must:
- Act with safety foremost in mind at all times.
- Take all practicable steps to ensure their own safety while at work.
- Ensure that none of their actions or inaction’s cause harm to another person.
- Be familiar with the NZ Trail Runs Ltd Health & Safety Plan and the Operations Manual for this event
- Do not undertake any task without the appropriate qualifications or safety equipment.
- Know and use appropriate procedures for any task undertaken.
- Observe and enforce the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and Regulations that apply to their place of work.
- Report all accidents that occur in the workplace as soon as practical to their immediate supervisor or the Race Director.
- Ensure that all the staff assigned to them are competent, have undergone sufficient training for and have the appropriate safety equipment for the tasks they are expected to undertake.
- Staff have the authority to halt an activity if a hazard threatens the safety of any person associated with the activity.
Paul Charteris and Tim Day
Directors, NZ Trail Runs Ltd
Date: 1 August 2018