The Tarawera 21.3k trail run course is brand new for 2019. It is an achievable run (just over half marathon distance) point-to-point trail run featuring Lake Okareka, Lake Tikitapu, The Redwoods and steamy sulphur trails to the finish line. Great for kids and family groups. All the fun with less of the run.
On Friday of Waitangi weekend (New Zealand’s national day), this is the perfect excuse to take part in one of the Tarawera Ultramarathon events and then cheer, crew or pace the ultra distance runners on Saturday and Sunday.
Due to space constraints at the start-line, the race will start in waves approximately 15 minutes apart. All runners and walkers will be required to take the free bus from the Energy Events Centre to the race start. You can choose your preferred start wave online prior to race day (see below).
All runners and walkers will need to complete athlete check-in one hour prior to your bus pickup time. Your race number is your bus ticket. The bus (departs from the Energy Events Centre to the start line at Lake Okareka) is included in your race entry. Due to space constraints, we will not allow private cars to park at the race start at Lake Okareka.
– Please line up at the race start ready to go.
– There will be 100 runners and walkers per wave start.
– There will be a short race briefing at each race start.
– Make sure your race number is facing the front.
– See below on how to choose your start wave.
– You can leave a labelled start line bag with us and we will transport it back to the finish.
– Your race photos are 100% free – so make sure you have your race number facing forward. No visible race number = no photos.
– The finish line is The Energy Events Centre, Rotorua (the same place you check-in).
– You are welcome to a free soak at Blue Baths adjacent to Government Gardens when you finish. Your race number is your ticket.
– There will be plenty of fruit and drink at the finish line plus extra food and drink to buy.
|WAVES||All waves have 100 runners and walkers. The times refer to the Bus pick-up time at the Energy Events Centre, Queens Drive, Rotorua. Wave 1 9:00am | Wave 2 9:15am | Wave 3 9:30am | Wave 4 9:45am | Wave 5 10:00am | Wave 6 10:15am | Wave 7 10:30am | Wave 8 10:45am
You can pre-select your preferred wave time from the online entry system
|BUSES||A Bus to the start is compulsory for everyone.
The first BUS leaves Energy Events Centre at 9:00am Friday 8 February.
Your Wave Time is your Bus Boarding Time.
Your race number is your bus ticket. Spectators and supporters are not allowed on the bus to the start.
|START TIME||Runers and walkers start in waves at Okareka from 9:30 am to 11:30 am.|
|FINISH||The Energy Events Centre, Rotorua.|
|DISTANCE||21.3km for the standard course. 22.8km with the adventure options included.|
|INCLUSIONS||Finishers medal for all, bus to start, buffet aid stations, free hotpools at finish, refreshments and craft beer (21 years+) at finish, medical & safety support, free hugs.|
|ENTRY INFO||All entry info|
|ENTRY LIMIT||1250 runners and walkers.|
|COURSE||Combination of trails and forestry roads with native bush, conifer forest, parkland and thermal landscapes.|
|SCENIC HIGHLIGHTS||Lake Okareka start, towering redwoods, steam alongside the trail at Sulphur Point, run alongside Blue Lake and Lake Rotorua, finish at historic Government Gardens, Rotorua.|
|ADVENTURE OPTIONS||Yes. Adventurous options for you to climb, crawl and slide on your butt – challenge yourself!!
|VERTICAL GAIN / LOSS |
|+ 794 metres / - 869 metres for the standard course.
|Location||Distance from Start||Distance from last aid||Distance to next aid||Distance to Finish||Spectators||Drop bags|
|Tikitapu (Blue Lake)||7.1||7.1||9.4||14.2||Y|
2019 Tarawera 20k Course Map. Link to a high-res. PDF for printing (large file).